Blogs International Tax Planning Questions? We Can Help

Posted: Apr 21, 2017

International Tax Planning Questions? We Can Help


Tax planning is complicated, and that’s especially true for taxpayers who are citizens of one country while living and working in another. If you’re a U.S. citizen living abroad, your income, no matter the source, is generally taxable in the United States. Citizens, resident aliens or military members living in another country have an extra two months to file their taxes without filing an extension. There are also special tax considerations for members of the military in combat zones, for example, and for military families. Foreign citizens who don’t have green cards and who don’t spend a substantial amount of time in the U.S. (based on the Internal Revenue Service guidelines) are considered nonresident aliens and are also required to pay U.S. taxes on any income earned in the United States.

If you need help sorting through the complexities of international taxation, contact our office. We can help you understand where you stand and address any other financial issues related to international living.